Monday, June 20, 2011

Enoteca Fuori Porta

Good views lead to good food. This panoramic was taken atop Piazzale Michelangelo. The uphill climb, brief as it was, built an appetite, so I headed down to whet it. Be wary of heading down the scenic garden path. If you're like me and go the wrong direction, you'll be looking at the road forlornly realizing that you have to backtrack. Unless you're confident in your wall descent skills even with a full backpack and camera. Go parkour!

The street wound me toward Enoteca Fuori Porta, a delightful restaurant filled with locals. That was an excellent sign. That and the cool air emanating from inside.
I peeled my backpack and took a seat inside. There were a few people inside including a man and his dog. I love dogs and it's neat to see so many dog friendly establishments in Europe. This place even had a water dish for this cute dog.
I ordered the tortelli di pecorino e pere allo zafferano e papavero (ravioli of pecorino and pears with saffron and poppy) and a 2009 Frescobaldi Chianti (€3). When in Florence, order the chianti.
Here is a grand meal. Simple, prepared well, and is filling. The tortelli (€10) arrived remarkably fast accompanied by grated parmesan cheese. It was a sun yellow pasta which reminded me of Tuscan yellow. The sauce was a lighter shade and dotted with poppy seeds. The cheese was light, slightly nutty flavor and crumbly. I couldn't taste the pear, but wonder if the pecorino and pear neutralized each other? Surcharge: €1.50.
This is where I wrote that Italian speakers sing. They really do. I enjoy the lilting rollercoaster of their language. And watching the interactions, I noticed the familiarity between guests and waitstaff. It's nice to know a restaurant has regulars. In the end, climbing down walls pays off.
This is their back dining area. Notice the color variety.
They had dense colored glassware too. A regular hides in the background.

Via del Monte alle Croci, 
10, 50125 Firenze, Italy
+39 055 234 2483  
fuoriporta.it 






No comments:

Post a Comment